With some of the best learning institutions and programs in the world, the United States is a highly sought after destination for students. However, in order to study in the U.S., a student must first obtain a visa. There are several types of student visas, each with its own set of requirements. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about the different types of U.S. student visas and how to get help with a student visa application. 

U.S. student visas

Types of U.S. Student Visas

Those who wish to study in the United States must first obtain a student visa. There are three categories of student visas in the U.S.: F, J, and M. Before applying for the visa, the student must first apply for and be accepted into a certified institution. 

F Visas

The “F” category of student visas is intended for students studying an academic or English language program at an accredited U.S. institution. Accepted institutions include colleges or universities in the U.S. that meet the educational requirements and standards of education. In order to qualify for an F1 visa, the student must:

  • Plan to return to his or her country of origin after completing the program
  • Demonstrate strong ties to his or her home country
  • Possess a formal acceptance to the institution of his or her choice
  • Have sufficient financial support

F1 visa applicants must undergo an interview and answer questions regarding his or her plans for studying

J Visas

Students who wish to participate in an exchange program apply for a J1 visa. The J visa category includes both high school and college students who wish to participate in an accepted work-and-study program as designated by the Exchange Visitor Program. Before applying for a J1 visa, a student must have been accepted into the program with an offer from a sponsoring organization. The J category includes programs such as:

  • Au Pair
  • Camp Counselor
  • College and University Student Program
  • Physician Program
  • Professor and Research Scholar Program
  • Summer Work Travel Program
  • Teacher Program
  • Trainee/Intern Program

Each program has specific requirements, including age, health condition, ability to speak English, and more. 

M Visas

Those who wish to participate in a nonacademic or vocational program should apply for an M visa. An M1 visa is intended for students on a specific course who study full-time at the institution, or 12 credit hours per semester. Like the F visa, the M1 category is meant to be a short-term visa; as such, the student must prove strong ties to his or her home country as well as enough financial support to fund his or her studies while in the U.S. Before applying for an M1 visa, the student must be accepted into the program. 

Do You Need an Attorney for a Student visa?

Receiving visa approval is key for many students who wish to study in the United States. Timing is everything, and a visa denial can mean putting one’s hopes and dreams on hold. Although it’s not required, hiring an immigration lawyer provides a significant advantage to those seeking a student visa. Your lawyer can help you during every step of the visa application process, including filling out paperwork, gathering documentation, and providing evidence that you’re a great visa candidate. By hiring an immigration lawyer, you can get all the information you need upfront and ensure that your visa application is approved the first time.

Contact CoxEsq., Today for a Consultation

Do you need an immigration lawyer to help with your student visa application? CoxEsq., PC helps students around the world successfully receive an approved student visa application to live out their dreams by studying in the United States. If you have questions about the process or need assistance with your application, contact CoxEsq., PC today to schedule a consultation.